Quite an interesting week
My last post talked about a presentation I did about the World Cruise. Well it has been quite a full and interesting week for other reasons as well.
On Monday Deb cut our front garden Laurel Hedge. It is a bit of a monster of more than 10 metres long, about 2 metres high and well over half a metre deep. While Deb flashed the trimmer blades I did what I could with our long handled trimmer, but it has finally shaken itself to death.
I tidied up the leaves and twigs from Deb’s efforts and used the lawn mower to shred the greenery into small bits that could be disposed of in our waste area. It is no good for composting as the leaves give of a cyanide smell when cut, and I don’t think it will be very good for growing our next harvest.
This amused us for most of the morning.
And both of us ended up exhausted. Deb has long said that she wished the hedge could be cut down, but I have always ignored the idea with fear of another long and difficult job.
Tuesday was the presentation, so nothing was really done. We went for a walk and Deb raised the idea of the Laurel hedges demise again. She suggested a trellis on the brick wall that is behind the vegetation would be great to grow stuff up.
…she is getting serious about this!
Wednesday my new long handled hedge trimmer arrived and was duly tested. Sadly my arms are aching from my efforts over the last few days to do very much with it.
We also had the blinds fitted for the conservatory roof, and they successfully keep the glare of the sunshine away. We can now read our tablets without struggling to find shade, and squinting at the screens.
Friday was the next landmark. After the monthly community coffee morning in the pub the hedge was discussed again.
After lunch Deb took the trimmer to have a go at the back lawn hedge (conifer this time) and I attacked the first of the Laurel bushed.
An hour later the Laurel greenery was strewed over the lawn, and I had the chainsaw out to remove the branches. I even managed to cut the stump to below ground level, and rather pleased with efforts.
This was exhausting…well actually, everything I do seems to be!
Now that the job has started, I am committed to removing the other 14 or 15 bushes before we go on holiday in under two weeks’ time.
On Saturday I removed two more bushes and Deb continued with the other hedge. I now have a pile about a metre high of greenery and branches. These will have to go to the recycling centre but not at the weekend when hundreds of people have the same idea with hedge and lawn cuttings.
Sunday we both rested two days of hard graft. Well almost anyway. I put a load of my green and brown rubbish in a huge waste sack (metre cube) and we took it to the recycling centre. It was packed and took longer than we hoped, but that is a lot of the rubbish gone from our garden.
…oh, and I also cut the lawns.
Bright and early on Monday I started again while Deb was at her voluntary work at the Cats Protection Centre. Another bush had turned to a pile of rubbish. When Deb returned we took another two sacks of dead Laurel to the dump. It was even busier there this time.
In the afternoon I attacked yet another bush and stripped away the green the smaller branches before getting the chainsaw out again.
….the chain has aged and stretched too far, and is so blunt that it rubs the wood rather than cutting it. So that was the end of the work for now with two more bags of rubbish ready to be taken away.
The difference with some of the bushes gone is amazing. The space gained is worth the hard work…I think!
I order a new chain and a ‘bar’ which is the bit that the chain rolls around when moving. That will take a couple of days to arrive, but the timing is good, as rain is forecast for tomorrow.
Over the last few days, I have also been attempting another big push with my Family Tree search. Each time I discover a new member of my ancestors it triggers other members of the application who are searching for the same name to ask me if my discovery is the same person.
Now, because I have been busy with other things, I had accumulated more than 1000 of these requests to confirm (or not) of these possible ’matches’. By the end of Sunday afternoon I had ground my way through nearly 500 requests and felt quite pleased.
Late Sunday evening I heard the ‘ping ping’ of emails telling me there were more new ‘matches’ to look at. When I looked at the system I could hardly believe my eyes. The total of matches has risen again because of my activity and there were now over 2000 matches to check.
I am amazed….no, quite angry actually, at how this happening.
Monday afternoon with the hedge project suspended I worked through another 300 matches to confirm which ones appear correct.
It is frustrating, but some of the discoveries are also rather amazing. For my mother’s family (Courtis) I now have a tree going back to 1400, and back even further with some of the blood lines through marriage to the time of the Norman Conquest. It appears that the name Courtis, originated in France as ‘Curteis’, and the blood line involves a number of Lords, Barons, and several aristocratic families.
Sadly I have not been so successful with my father’s family line (Williams) or those in Deb’s family.
Never mind, I will continue with the search, but the priority at the moment is to clear this ridiculous list of matches that need checking.